Times of Oman
Price in RO
24ct / gm
22ct / gm
Forex Rates vs R01
Back to Homepage
South Sudan rebels accuse government of ceasefire violations
May 11, 2014 , 2 : 23 pm GST
SAVE THIS ARTICLE
Salva Kiir, President of South Sudan, attends a press conference after signing the Cessation of Hostilities treaty over the war in South Sudan. Photo - AFP
South Sudan's rebels on Sunday accused government forces of multiple ceasefire violations along several fronts, just hours after a truce aimed at ending the five-month conflict came into effect.
"The violations of the Agreement to Resolve the Crisis in South Sudan shows that (President Salva) Kiir is either insincere or not in control of his forces," rebel military spokesman Lul Ruai Koang said in a statement.
Koang alleged the violations occurred in the oil-rich northern states of Upper Nile and Unity, and included both ground attacks and artillery barrages. He added that rebels reserved "the right to fight in self-defence".
Clashes were also reported around the northern oil hub of Bentiu — which has changed hands several times in recent weeks and has been described as being particularly tense.
In the capital Juba, however, the government said their forces had been given strict orders to its troops to respect the peace deal.
"The orders have been given to the army to start observing arrangements for the cessation of hostilities," President Kiir's spokesman, Ateny Wek, said.
He said the government had received no word from the rebels, but added that government army commanders "have sent any reports of violations" by forces loyal to rebel leader and former vice-president Riek Machar.
Kiir and Machar met in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa on Friday and agreed halt fighting within 24 hours — or by on Saturday evening.
The agreement came after massive international pressure on both sides to stop a five-month conflict marked by widespread human rights abuses, a major humanitarian crisis and fears the world's youngest nation was on the brink of a genocide and Africa's worst famine since the 1980's.
The war has claimed thousands — and possibly tens of thousands — of lives, with more than 1.2 million people forced to flee their homes.
Kiir and Machar had agreed to a ceasefire in January, but that deal quickly fell apart.
Rate this Article
Rates : 0, Average : 0
Post a Comment
Did you like this section? Leave a comment!
Your Name :
Your Email Address :
Your Comment :
Enter Image Text:
No Comments Posted
Latest in this section
UN envoy opens Yemen talks as coalition pounds rebels
4,200 migrants saved in the Mediterranean
India: Monsoon to miss normal date as advance sluggish
Rebels kidnap, kill 22 passengers in Pakistan's Balochistan province
‘Suit boot’ more acceptable than ‘suitcase’, says Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi
TOP RATED ARTICLES
Omani mother's heartache for missing son in Qatar
Fahad Al Ghadani
Sunday Beat: Strict labour laws will hurt Oman's economy
Saleh Al Shaibany
Oman commits to invest $7 billion in Indonesia for oil refinery
Times News Service
Magnitude 8.5 earthquake strikes off eastern Japan
Japanese island evacuated after volcanic eruption
More in News
How spoilt is your child?
Rachel Carlyle/Daily Express
How to fall back to sleep in 20 minutes or less
Kim Jones/Daily Express
American travel, reportage photographer goes off his track in Oman
Whale sharks set for tagging to save species
Lewis Smith/The Independent
Sri Lanka restores blood-soaked railway to Tamil heartland
More in Features
Kurdish forces count the cost of fighting IS
Why Britain resigned as the global power?
Canada’s support to Israel is dangerous
The green superpower
Touching story of a child that our society rejected
More in Columns
Muscat Media Group.
Times of Oman is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
For reprint rights contact:
TOO Online Editorial