Times of Oman
Price in RO
24ct / gm
22ct / gm
Forex Rates vs R01
Back to Homepage
Toll in migrant shipwreck rises to 17: Italy
May 13, 2014 , 12 : 02 pm GST
SAVE THIS ARTICLE
Some of the 340 illegal migrants who were rescued by the Libyan navy off the coast of the western town of Sabratha when their boat began to take on water, board a bus in the coastal town of Zawiya, west of Tripoli. Photo - AFP
The Italian navy on Tuesday said 17 bodies had been recovered and 206 people rescued by patrol boats and merchant ships from a migrant shipwreck in international waters between Libya and Italy.
"There were 207 survivors rescued yesterday... Seventeen bodies have been recovered so far," the navy said in a statement, increasing a previous toll of 14 victims following the incident on Monday.
Italian media cited coast guards saying there were around 400 people on board, which would mean dozens are still unaccounted for.
The navy said two warships, three coast guard and border patrol boats had taken part in the rescue operation, along with two merchant ships — the Vanuatu-flagged Kehoe Tide and the French ship Bourbon Arcadien.
"They reached the capsized ship as quickly as possible," the navy said, adding that two helicopters and two planes had also taken part in the rescue.
The navy said one of its warships, the Grecale frigate, was headed for the port of Catania in Sicily with the survivors and the bodies of the victims on board.
Italian media said it was expected at 1100GMT.
Prosecutors in Catania said they would be opening an investigation into the causes of the shipwreck.
The navy said the other warship, the Sirio, had gone on to rescue 295 migrants from another stricken boat.
Hundreds of migrants — many of them asylum-seekers from Eritrea, Somalia and Syria — are landing on Italy's shores on an almost daily basis and the government has appealed for more assistance from the European Union.
The Italian navy launched a large-scale operation to rescue migrants and deter traffickers following two shipwreck tragedies in October 2013 in which more than 400 people drowned off Italy's shores.
Rate this Article
Rates : 0, Average : 0
Post a Comment
Did you like this section? Leave a comment!
Your Name :
Your Email Address :
Your Comment :
Enter Image Text:
No Comments Posted
Latest in this section
Robbers raid top Pakistan charity, steal $400,000
US drops arms, ammunition to Kurds battling IS in Kobane
Kerry in Southeast Asia seeking support against IS
Iran and world powers to resume expert-level nuclear talks on Wednesday
Trial of Bahraini activist jailed for ‘insulting’ tweets begins
TOP RATED ARTICLES
Oman's Ministry of Agriculture keeps tab on Crimean Congo fever
Fake cigarettes cause OMR3.5m loss to country
National Commercial Bank of Saudi Arabia shares go on sale in largest initial public offering worth $6bn
Oman's Ministry of Education to plug teacher shortage
Fahad Al Ghadani
Video: 'Visa ban lift' Leads today's local news
Times news service
More in News
India's acid victims still suffer despite new rules
Sri Lanka restores blood-soaked railway to Tamil heartland
It's Different! Discovering pop legend Michael Jackson's popularity in rural India
Bucharest 'khans' reborn after decades of neglect
More than just a moustache - Adolf Hitler vs Charlie Chaplin
More in Features
Muslim Brotherhood courts Isis for support
What does Hashmi’s loss portend for 3-way battle?
Conspiracy theories are afoot in plenty
Political differences likely to grow in Afghanistan
Will the unity government deliver for Afghanistan?
More in Columns
Copyright © 2012 Muscat Press & Publishing House SAOC. All rights reserved. Times of Oman is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
For reprint rights contact:
TOO Online Editorial