Oman


Officials in Oman discuss ways to deal with Ebola outbreak


A nurse wears protective clothing as he demonstrates the facilities in place at the Royal Free Hospital in north London on August 6, 2014, in preparation for a patient testing positive for the Ebola virus. The specialised unit allows a team of doctors and nurses to provide care for anyone with the contagious condition. Despite it's high mortality level, Consultant Stephen Mepham advised against panic, stating that the chances of meeting an undiagnosed patient are virtually impossible with next to no chance of catching the virus without exposure to the sufferer's bodily fluids. AFP PHOTO/Leon Neal

Muscat: A meeting was held on Wednesday at the headquarters of Health Ministry to review the latest developments related to Ebola outbreak and assess the situation.

Dr Mohammed bin Saif Al Hosani, undersecretary of the Ministry of Health, chaired
the meeting.

The officials reviewed the global status, countries affected by the virus and the recommendations of specialised international organisations, such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) and US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention.

The participants at the meeting agreed on the measures for handling suspected cases, notifying them, the lab tests to be conducted, and preventive measures.

They also discussed the means of enhancing the ability of the health institutions to deal with the disease. They agreed to publish awareness handouts and distribute these at the Sultanate's entry ports.

The Ministry of Health assured that no suspected case of Ebola virus has been reported so far. It called on everyone to follow sound health practices, ensure hygiene particularly when it comes to keeping hands clean, and avoid travelling to affected countries, namely Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leon.

A Saudi Arabian who had travelled to Sierra Leone and had symptoms similar to those found in Ebola sufferers, died on Wednesday of a heart attack, the health ministry said.

"The patient died of cardiac arrest, despite efforts by the medical team to resuscitate him," the ministry website reported.

It added that the man will be laid to rest in the Islamic manner, but under precautions laid down by the world health authorities.

The ministry did not reveal the results of tests carried out abroad on whether the patient had been suffering from the Ebola virus.

Meanwhile, the death toll from the world's worst Ebola outbreak has risen to 932 after 45 patients died between August 2 and August 4, the WHO said.

The number of suspected, probable or confirmed cases rose by 108 over the same period to 1,711. Of the newly reported deaths, 27 were in Liberia, which has had 516 cases and 282 deaths from the disease since the outbreak began in February.

Guinea had 10 new cases and five deaths, while the number of cases in Sierra Leone rose by 45 to 691.

Share 

 Rate this Article
Rates : 0, Average : 0

Share more.

Post a Comment

Did you like this section? Leave a comment!
Your Name : Your Email Address :
Your Comment :
Enter Image Text:
 
No Comments Posted