Times of Oman
Price in RO
24ct / gm
22ct / gm
Forex Rates vs R01
Back to Homepage
Facebook, other banned sites to be open in China free trade zone: report
September 24, 2013 , 12 : 34 pm GST
SAVE THIS ARTICLE
The sun rises behind the entrance sign to Facebook headquarters in Menlo Park before the company's IPO launch, May 18, 2012.Photo - Reuters
Facebook, Twitter and other websites deemed sensitive and blocked by the Chinese government will be accessible in a planned free-trade zone (FTZ) in Shanghai, the South China Morning Post reported on Tuesday.
Citing unidentified government sources, the Hong Kong newspaper also said authorities would welcome bids from foreign telecoms firms for licenses to provide Internet services in the zone.
China's ruling Communist Party aggressively censors the Internet, routinely deleting online postings and blocking access to websites it deems inappropriate or politically sensitive.
Facebook and Twitter were blocked by Beijing in mid-2009 following deadly riots in the western province of Xinjiang that authorities say were abetted by the social networking sites. The New York Times has been blocked since reporting last year that the family of then-Premier Wen Jiabao had amassed a huge fortune.
The recently approved Shanghai FTZ is slated to be a test bed for convertibility of China's yuan currency and further liberalization of interest rates, as well as reforms of foreign direct investment and taxation, the State Council, or cabinet, has said. The zone will be formally launched on September 29, the Securities Times reported earlier this month.
The idea of unblocking websites in the FTZ was to make foreigners "feel like at home", the South China Morning Post quoted a government source as saying. "If they can't get onto Facebook or read The New York Times, they may naturally wonder how special the free-trade zone is compared with the rest of China," the source said.
A spokesman for Facebook said the company had no comment on the newspaper report. No one at Twitter or the New York Times was immediately available to comment.
China's three biggest telecoms companies - China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom - have been informed of the decision to allow foreign competition in the FTZ, the sources told the newspaper.
The three state-owned companies had not raised complaints because they knew the decision had been endorsed by Chinese leadership including Premier Li Keqiang, who has backed the Shanghai FTZ, the sources added.
Rate this Article
Rates : 0, Average : 0
Latest in this section
New consoles, online games to keep market soaring
AT&T aims to sidestep shareholder request on surveillance data
First Russian smartphone, YotaPhone, launched in Moscow
Facebook making it easier for users to access news
Self-driving cars on Swedish roads by ’17
Post a Comment
Did you like this section? Leave a comment!
Your Name :
Your Email Address :
Your Comment :
Enter ImageText here:
No Comments Posted
TOP RATED ARTICLES
Styling Madhuri Dixit in 'Dedh Ishqiya' was challenging: Designer
Mandela mourned at the South African embassy in Oman
Malayalam film to be fully shot in Oman
Outraged Ukrainians protest leader's Russia overture
Lack of loos
More in News
How to choose your writing form and communicate your creative thoughts
Natasja Engholm - Special to Times of Oman
Indonesia's illegal dentists bite back after ban
Albanian cannabis fiefdom at heart of European traffic
Asia's animators draw inspiration from Miyazaki
Splash 'Forever More'
Times News Service
More in Features
Musharraf is ready for trial, but is the government?
Of Middle East and the Arab winter
France ill at ease with US policy shift in M-E
The harsh reality of mass migration from Syria
Blind obsession with celebrities
Jayanta G Borpujari
More in Columns
Get Top news by E-mail.
Copyright © 2012 Muscat Press & Publishing House SAOC. All rights reserved. Times of Oman is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.
For reprint rights contact:
TOO Online Editorial