Times of Oman
Nov 25, 2015 LAST UPDATED AT 09:06 PM GMT
The fall of the tech giants: What if Facebook collapses?
April 12, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Facebook burnout - Photo courtesy - mkhmarketing via Flickr under Creative Commons License

Muscat: Comex introduces variable activities for the visitors to see and enjoy. Workshops have been part of those activities. This year, the MajlisCom's agenda consists of 18 workshops spread over the five days of Comex. The workshops are about various topics revolving around technology. The title of one of those workshops is, "The fall of the giants: What if Facebook collapses?" by Stefano Virgilli.

On the first day of Comex, Virgilli started his lecture about why Facebook might collapse and the consequences of Facebook crumbling. Facebook is an online social media network founded on February 4, 2004 by Mark Zuckerberg with his college roommate and fellow Harvard University students. Most of us have a Facebook account to stay in touch with our friends, relatives or acquaintances, and we use it to share our daily activities or to invite people to our events and for many other purposes. 

There are many reasons Virgilli mentioned, the main being that Facebook as a company that makes no money. Facebook's way of earning money is from the users who give money to the website of their own will. One of the myths that you might believe about Facebook is that it's free.

Well, that's not true at all. If you have a page for your business, your posts will reach 16 per cent of your fans only. What happens to the other 84 per cent of the fans? The page owner needs to pay for the rest of the fans to access his/her posts.

That's why companies use Facebook as a last option to market their businesses. What makes Facebook even less desirable is that a lot of Facebook accounts are either fake or not active at all. Facebook stated that they have a total of 1.2 billion accounts but this number also includes fake and inactive accounts.

From a personal perspective, there are reasons that could cause Facebook to fail. "Facebook is like combat boots" is the sentence Virgilli used to explain this reason. Combat boots are now less stylish and old fashioned which makes them less desirable by the people. 

Same goes for Facebook if you compare it to the other social media networks like Google, Twitter, etc. The other social media networks offer more than what Facebook offers. For instance, Google  offers an email address, Photo galleries, Video channels (YouTube), Voice/Video calls, a well-made calendar and also multiple linked accounts. Statistics show that 34 per cent of the users are spending less time than six months ago on Facebook simply because they feel bored.

Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news