Times of Oman
Nov 28, 2015 LAST UPDATED AT 01:17 AM GMT
Ukraine steps up military ops after bloodshed in east
May 3, 2014 | 12:00 AM
Pro-Russian activists argue with policemen standing guard outside the burned trade union building in the southern Ukrainian city of Odessa on May 3, 2014. More than 30 people were killed in a "criminal" blaze in Ukraine's southern city of Odessa, as violence spread across the country during the bloodiest day since Kiev's Western-backed government took power. Ukraine's interior ministry said at least 31 people had died in the fire Friday, with local media reporting that pro-Russian militants were believed to have been in the burning building at the time. Photo - AFP

Ukraine on Saturday expanded a military operation to seize ground from rebels in the east, following the bloodiest day in the country since the Western-backed government in Kiev came to power.

Interior minister Arsen Avakov said his forces had launched a dawn raid near the town of Kramatorsk, taking back a TV tower as Kiev struggles to wrest back control of the east amid a pro-Russian insurgency that threatens to tear the country apart.

Saturday's fresh assault came after the deadliest day in months in crisis-hit Ukraine, with dozens killed in clashes and a fire in the southern port city of Odessa and at least nine killed during a military raid on the flashpoint town of Slavyansk.

As the violence on the ground boiled over, the war of words between Moscow and Washington also intensified. The stakes are rising in the worst East-West crisis since the end of the Cold War.

Russia said Ukraine was heading for "catastrophe" and urged it to stop "waging war against its own people". Moscow's envoy to the UN Security Council told a hastily called meeting that Kiev was responsible for the chaos and accused the West of backing it.

Moscow has also declared a peace accord signed last month in Geneva, which was meant to defuse the crisis, a dead letter.

US President Barack Obama meanwhile increased the pressure on President Vladimir Putin, threatening to whack Moscow with its toughest sanctions yet if Russia continued to destabilise its former Soviet republic neighbour.

'We will not stop'
Avakov said the "active phase" of the operation to clear rebels from the east continued at dawn in Kramatorsk, just 17 kilometres (10 miles) to the south of Slavyansk.

"Overnight, forces participating in the anti-terrorist operation in Kramatorsk took control of the TV tower that was previously held by the terrorists," said the minister."We will not stop."

He said two rebel checkpoints near the airport had been destroyed.

On Friday, after several days of encircling Slavyansk, the Ukrainian military launched what rebels in the town called a "full-scale" assault with helicopters and armoured vehicles overrunning nine rebel checkpoints.

Two Ukrainian army personnel were killed in the action as rebels shot down two helicopter gunships. Two more died in later fighting, authorities said.

Insurgents said that three of their number and two citizens had died in the operation on Friday.

On Saturday, the centre of Slavyansk was calm, an AFP reporter on the scene said, with people going about their daily business, although sporadic explosions and small-arms fire were heard during the night.

The violence in Ukraine, which had previously been limited to the southeast and east of the country, spread to the southern port city of Odessa on Friday, marking a new front in the chaos.

Following clashes between pro-Russian militants and supporters of Ukrainian unity, dozens were killed in a fire in a building that local media said was full of pro-Moscow militants.

Most died from smoke inhalation, while others perished trying to escape by jumping out of windows.

Local officials on Saturday gave an updated toll of 37 dead and 200 injured -- including 22 police officers -- and 130 arrests, making it the bloodiest day in Ukraine since deadly protests in Kiev that in late February swept aside the former pro-Moscow president Viktor Yanukovych.

Russia said it was "outraged" by the incident and called on Kiev and the West to "end the anarchy", blaming the Ukrainian authorities for "criminal irresponsibility".

State Department deputy spokeswoman Marie Harf said the loss of life in Odessa, which had previously been spared the chaos in other parts of the country, was "heartbreaking".

"The violence and mayhem that led to so many senseless deaths and injuries is unacceptable," she said.

'Sectoral sanctions'
As the West sought to pile the pressure on Putin, Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel

Subscribe to our newsletter and be the first to know all the latest news